This is His hand extended for you.

Find A Topic

Friday, April 20, 2012

Trust- that sim...

Image
Trust- that simple five letter word. After suffering from severe anxiety since I was seven years old I have sometimes doubted my ability to trust God. Since God hasn't "cured" my anxiety the way I have wanted him too, it makes it even harder to trust him. One of the most frequent things people say to me is, "Just trust God". I almost feel embarrassed when people say that because I just can't. They make it sound like its as simple as breathing, when for some people who are going through tough times, it's not that easy.
I think after going through a rough time in your life, you start to doubting God. I think learning to trust God again can be a hard, but possible process made of up of three main steps. The first step is to find passages in the Bible that help you trust God. Secondly, I had to change my thinking so it was consistent with the passage in the bible. And third was too change my actions so they would be consistent with my new way of thinking. This is no easy process- I'm not even at the point where I can completely trust God, and just give him all my worries. I know that with his guidance and strength, I can get to the point of being able to trust Him- 110%.
One of my favorite verses in the bible is Proverbs 3:5, which states, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know." I love this verse because I think it is speaking directly to me. I feel like I always think I know whats going to happen, that I'm in complete control, when really God is the only person who knows whats going to happen and when. I tend to "what-if" a lot. What if this? What if that? Those thoughts consume me- day and night. I have to take comfort in knowing that God is in control. Whatever he does is part of His special plan.
In today's reading, God is telling us not to worry, he says in Luke 12:22, "Then Jesus said to his disciples, Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear." He is telling us that if we pursue His kingdom- all the things we need will be provided! When we trust in God, He will always provide. He will never let us down.
Reading: Luke 12:22-31
Reflect:
How do you feel when you are having trouble trusting God?
Do you have trouble trusting God after a tragedy or something bad happens? Why?
How does it make you feel knowing that God will never let you down, that he will always provide for your needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment